Encounters, edited by Maxine McArthur and Donna Maree Hanson.
Twenty-two stories of meetings, crossed paths, clashes, unions. The wondrous brought face to face with the mundane, the grotesque with the beautiful, the everyday with the fantastical.
Encounters is the fourth anthology produced by the CSFG, edited by members Maxine McArthur and Donna Maree Hanson with a cover by Les Petersen. The theme, like the title, was “Encounters”, which the authors were able to interpret as they wished. The book was launched at a function at the National Museum of Australia on 14 August 2004 by Garth Nix.
Stories and authors
- “The Glass Flower” by Chris Barnes
- “Crazy Little Thing” by Stuart Barrow
- “Sleeping with Monsters” by Michael Barry
- “Vortle” by Lee Battersby
- “The Ceremony of Innocence” by Conor Bendle
- “Garden Light” by Shane Brown
- “The Teller” by Monica Carroll
- “Beggars on the Shore” by Bruce Clark
- “The Faithless Priest and the Nameless King” by Cory Daniells
- “Davey’s Gift” by Kate Eltham
- “The Flatmate From Hell” by Dirk Flinthart
- “The Souvenir” by Richard Harland
- “Don’t Got No Wings” by Trent Jamieson
- “Boys” by Ben Payne
- “Happy Faces for Happy Families” by Gillian Polack
- “The Dove” by Nigel Read
- “The Final Battle” by Scott Robinson
- “Remembering Bliss” by Carol Ryles
- “Una, the One” by Frankie Seymour
- “Meltdown My Plutonium Heart” by Cat Sparks
- “Guarding the Mound” by Kaaron Warren
- “Stella’s Transformation” by Kim Westwood
Awards and recognition
“Stella’s Transformation” by Kim Westwood was selected for The Year’s Best Fantasy Volume 5, edited by David G. Hartwell and Kathryn Cramer.
“Happy Faces for Happy Families” was listed as recommended reading by Ellen Datlow in her Year’s Best Fantasy and Horror collection.
Nine stories from Encounters were listed in the recommended reading list in 2004’s Year’s Best Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy volume 1, edited by Bill Congreve and Michelle Marquardt: “The Glass Flower” by Chris Barnes, “Vortle” by Lee Battersby, “The Teller” by Monica Carroll, “Davey’s Gift” by Kate Eltham, “The Flatmate from Hell” by Dirk Flinthart, “The Souvenir” by Richard Harland, “Boys” by Ben Payne, “Guarding the Mound” by Kaaron Warren, and “Stella’s Transformation” by Kim Westwood.
“The Glass Flower” by Chris Barnes was short listed for an Aurealis Award for Best Young Adult Short Story.
Encounters was shortlisted for two Ditmar awards at the 2005 Australian Natcon in Hobart, one for Best Collected Work and one for the cover art by Les Petersen.